Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Do you believe in your plan?

Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)


Do you have a plan?

For your business? For your life?

I love this quote by Edison, it teaches me to come back to plans, to ponder, analyze, appreciate and revise. So often we create plans and because they do not work out we leave them by the way side and miss out of all the wisdom they hold for us.

When we are diligent, we continually re-look at plans and adjust actions and forecasts. I recently met with a very successful accounting firm partner. He described the quarterly review of their business plan and ongoing adjustment to marketing, staffing and resource strategies. He was able to speak with authority on where the company had been, where they are now, as well as where they want to go.

He had insights into trends and was able to speak intimately about the business with confidence and ease. As I reflected on the meeting, I was struck at the ease with which he spoke about the numbers. It was of course typical for an accountant t be able to spew out numbers with confidence. What I was struck by for myself is my lack of confidence as a business owner to talk with such confidence about the numbers, about the forecasts, the trends in my numbers. I was humbled, as I am sure most of us would be.

It really gave me deeper insight into the many facets of business and how we as responsible business owners need people around us and on our teams who can speak to the many facets of a business. Finance, marketing, business development, etc.

Is there a part of your business plan that needs a re-look, a readjust?

Marketing?
What are your three key brand values?

Sales?
What are your three key competitive differentiators?

Strategy?
What are your three key business drivers?

So take some time to analyze and possibly even bring in a pro to help!!

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:22 AM , Blogger Angie said...

I believe in the business plan that my company provides as a model for my success. Measuring the success of that plan within my own business is difficult for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home