Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Reflection and the Creative Process

Recently I was preparing a meal for some friends. I brought myself to the moment. I took time to ponder what it had taken to get to that moment. What had I done to get here and what energy had been expended? What emotions had fueled the investment of such energy?

Quite a simple answer to the emotion question, love! Pure and simple. Love for my friends, love of food, love of my skills, love of history and most importantly, love of the creative process!

I had invited my friends, prepared the menu, made the list for shopping, went to several stores to collect the ingredients and now here I was in the kitchen, enjoying all the effort I had already focused.

For me the creative process feeds my soul. When I jump into it fully, I feel my greatest skills and talents coming to the fore. I am at my best and highest self.

As I continued to prepare the meal, I was in sheer joy. Smelling the food, tasting the nuances and touching creations of God. The zestiness of the limes transported me to Key West, the smokiness of the bacon reminded me of my grandmother cooking breakfast and the sweetness of mangos, brought my every sense alive, recalling sharing a mango on the beach under a hot sun.

Continuing to enjoy the entire transformation of ingredients into a meal, that I knew my friends and I would savor, I rested into the skills I have. The cooking skills I possess have been honed and evolved over many years. What I think I really enjoy about cooking, it that there are physical skills like chopping, intellectual skills governing the laws of chemistry and the spiritual skills that help me tune into the nuances of the flavors and combinations of textures and tastes.

In the romantic comedy, Kate and Leopold, Leopold states, as he is serving a lovely meal to his beloved, "Food is a product of reflection." What a delightful thought! It states what we often times forget. Creation requires reflection. We tap into our memories and combine experiences and knowledge to create anew.

Resting into the creative process is about honoring the past while creating the future.

A passage in The Book of Unholy Mischief: A Novel by Elle Newmark expresses how I feel about cooking in a delicious way.

"He picked up the onion and his voice turned brusque. "Inhale the aroma, the soul, but take your time. The art of cooking like the art of living, must be savored for its own sake." He wafted the onion under his nose and inhaled deeply. "No matter that the food we prepare will be eaten in minutes; the act of creation is everything."

I read this and immediately I felt my heart leap. Yes, the creative process is everything! Each of us knows this feeling! Whether we are creating a meal, a solution, a garden or a work of art, we know what it feels like to use our skills and gifts to create. We know that surge of energy that takes over and guides our minds and then hands. As we create from this place our sense of purpose and connection is heightened. We feel we are doing what we are supposed to do.

As I sit here creating this entry, I am in the flow of creativity. I am feeling the energy and the passion that I feel for creative expression expanding. I am immersed in the passion of inspiration, knowing that potentially I might inspire someone else to be creative, someone else to feel connected, or someone else to feel joy. In essence I am living the creation of my vision.

My vision is to inspire creativity and joy by helping people to find their own answers by sharing my story and skills.

Several years ago after I left Citibank to create Gathering, I read Laurie Beth Jones's, The Path.
In it she expresses the importance of creating a vision. She clarifies how a vision is the result of a mission. It is emotional payoff to the hard work. Jones outlines the steps to creating a vision and mission, both she explains, are informed by reflection.

She writes, "A Sufi poet wrote, The Universe surrenders to a mind that is still." And in order to truly find The Path, each of us must loosen our minds, and begin from a point of wonder and openness–of being willing to not know. We must receive before we can give."

This profoundly shifted how I approached the creative process. Reflection is a part of my process now without exception. I know that when I am able to tune into the creative force within me, I will allow the greatest things to flow with the greatest joy in the experience of it.

Within the creative process there are so many subtle elements. Making myself conscious to be aware of those nuances and opening myself to the wonder of it is such a blessing.

May your creative experiences be inspired by reflection, fueled by passion and appreciated with joy!

When are you taking time to reflect??

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:12 AM , Blogger Michael G. O’Connell said...

In your post you write "Creation requires reflection". So true. I would even take that one step further because true creation cannot exist without reflection.

Great post Florence!

 
At 11:17 AM , Blogger Florence Haridan said...

Well said my friend. Reminds me of a simple saying my Mom grilled into my head. Haste Makes WASTE.

The design process that I love to engage in allows me to feel my strengths through the process and enjoy all there is to have in the exploration...yeee haaa

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home